Where Does My Earnest Money Go?
Hey, I gave my real estate agent a $5000 Earnest Money Deposit check… Where does that money go?
According to Wikipedia:
Earnest Money – an earnest payment (sometimes called earnest money or simply earnest, or alternatively a good-faith deposit) is a deposit towards the purchase of real estate or publicly tendered government contract made by a buyer or registered contractor to demonstrate that he/she is serious (earnest) about wanting to complete the purchase.
When a buyer makes an offer to buy residential real estate, he/she generally signs a contract and pays a sum acceptable to the seller by way of earnest money. The amount varies enormously, depending upon local custom and the state of the local market at the time of contract negotiations.
An Earnest Money Deposit (EMD) is simply held by a third-party escrow company according to the terms of the executed purchase contract.
*It’s important to keep in mind that the EMD may actually be cashed at the time escrow is opened, so make sure your funds are from the proper sources.
- Earnest Money is submitted to an escrow company with the accepted purchase contract
- At the close of escrow, the EMD is credited towards the down payment and / or closing costs
- If there are no closing costs or down payment, the EMD is refunded back to the buyer
Who Doesn’t Get Your Earnest Money:
- Selling Real Estate Agent – A conflict of interest
- Sellers – Too risky
- Buying Agent – They shouldn’t have your money in their account
Related Articles – Closing Process / Costs
- Closing Process – Overview
- Closing Costs – Overview
- Talk the Talk – Know the Mortgage Lingo at Closing
- Making Sure Your Cash-To-Close Comes From The Proper Source
- Seven Things Your Agent Should Know About Your Mortgage Approval
- Ten Credit Do's and Don'ts To Bear In Mind Prior To Getting Your Mortgage Loan
- Do I Need To Sell My Home Before I Can Qualify For A New Mortgage On Another Property?
- What Do Appraisers Look For When Determining A Property's Value?
- Renting vs Buying A Home